Stroke is documented as the third cause of death and the leading cause of disabilities worldwide. Each year, 15 million of the world population suffered from stroke. Two-thirds among these people experience disabilities due to stroke, or death. Stroke is a sudden disorder in brain function due to disrupted blood flow to the brain. Around 85 % of stroke cases are Ischemic Stroke, occurring due to obstruction in the cerebral blood flow, and the other 15 % are Hemorrhagic Stroke, occurring due to ruptured cerebral blood vessel.
Stroke could occur in anyone. However, some people have the risk factors and become more prone to stroke attack.
Some of the risk factors for Stroke are as follows :
- Over 55 years of age
- History of stroke in the family
- High blood pressure
- Increased lipid levels
- Lack of physical activity
Aging and history of stroke in the family are unchangeable risk factors, while other risk factors related to lifestyle are controllable risk factors.
TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack)
TIA is a mild and temporary stroke attack. The symptoms only last for several minutes and recover in less than 24 hours. Around 10% of TIA cases will develop to stroke in 3 months.
Time is Brain (the crucial 3 hours)
In obstructive type of stroke, the best time to obtain maximum recovery from stroke or to reduce risk of disability as minimum as possible is treatment within 3 hours from the onset of attack.
Recognize the Symptoms of Stroke :
- Weakness or paresis of the arms and legs
- Numbness, decreased sensation, tingling in the face, arms, trunk, and legs
- Imbalance, vertigo, difficulty to walk
- Visual disturbance (sudden blindness, loss of vision in one or both eyes) or decreased visual field
- Severe headache without any apparent cause
The above symptoms usually occur all of a sudden.
Stroke is a medical emergency
When you experience or find stroke symptoms, contact the doctor immediately for medical help.